Canterbury Christian School is the parish school of Saint Paul’s Anglican Church. Our Statement of Faith sets forth the foundational beliefs upon which Canterbury Christian School rests. These beliefs are the key elements of Christianity that we will unapologetically teach and abide by throughout all aspects of our ministerial work, both academic and administrative. We believe:
- The Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments to be the Word of God, the only infallible rule of faith and practice, and that this divine Word of God has been most clearly and consistently interpreted in the Apostles’ and Nicene Creeds.
- The Universe and all living things (including man), were made by the direct creative acts of God within the 6 (six) literal 24-hour days as described in the book of Genesis. Any biological changes that have occurred since the Creation week have done so within the original created kinds. The special Creation of Adam and Eve in the image of God, and their subsequent fall into sin is the basis for our belief in the necessity of a Savior for all mankind.
- All human life is sacred and created by God in His image. Human life is of inestimable worth in all its dimensions, including pre-born babies, the aged, the physically and mentally challenged, and every other state or condition from conception through natural death. We are therefore called to defend, protect, and value all human life.
- The term “marriage” has only one meaning: the uniting of one man and one woman in a single, exclusive union, as delineated in Scripture (Gen. 2:18-25). We believe that marriage between one man and one woman, for life, uniquely reflects Christ’s relationship with His Church (Eph. 5:21-33). We believe that God intends sexual intimacy to occur only between one man and one woman who are married to each other (1 Cor. 6:18 & 7:2-5; Heb. 13:4). We believe that God has commanded that no intimate sexual activity be engaged in outside of a marriage between a man and a woman.
- God wonderfully and immutably created each person as male or female. These two distinct, complementary sexes together reflect the image of God (Gen. 1:26-27). Rejection of one’s biological sex is a rejection of the image of God in that person. We believe that any form of sexual immorality (including, but not limited to, adultery, cohabitation, fornication, homosexual behavior, bisexual conduct, bestiality, incest, use of pornography) is sinful and offensive to God (Matt. 15:18-20; 1 Cor. 6:9-10).
Our Statement of Faith does not exhaust the extent of our beliefs. The Bible itself, as the inspired and infallible Word of God that speaks with final authority concerning truth, morality and the proper conduct of mankind, is the sole and final source of all that we believe. For purposes of Canterbury Christian School’s faith, doctrine, practice, policy, and discipline, our Headmaster is Canterbury Christian School’s final interpretive authority on the Bible’s application.